Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Rancho Mirage, CA
October 5, 2021
 · 
Reactions
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) surgery is a two-step procedure that treats certain cancers in the abdomen. Cancerous tumors are surgically removed, and then heated chemotherapy drugs are applied directly inside the abdomen to eliminate the remaining cancerous cells.

October 6, 2021
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

You’re welcome, Jansiking! I asked my surgeon about doing HIPEC during my debulking surgery, but in the end decided against it. He said it would add about 2 hours to the time I was under anesthesia, for a total of 7-8 hours. I didn’t want to be under that long. I opted for intra-peritoneal chemo instead.

October 6, 2021
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I had IPec in 2019 during my spleen and partial pancreas removal.

December 16, 2021
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I currently have cancerous tumors in my peritoneal and that surgery hasn’t been offered to me. Thank you for the information. I’m going to ask my oncologist about this. This was quite helpful!

October 6, 2021
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Thank you, LeeBatavia, for answering my question!!!

October 6, 2021

Related Questions

View All
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Kissee Mills, MO